Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2009 was groovy.

So the year's done, right. I think this was my favorite year yet. I'll make a broad list. Of things that were important, relevant, substantial.

  • I realized that all of my real friends ask big questions and are unsure about many things and I dig that.
  • My two favorite movies that I saw this year were "I'm not Fascinating" which I saw projected on angle on a grafittied wall at Death By Audio with Brother Max. We sat there drinking big beers on the floor and being really into it. It was freezing. Also Bogdanovichs's "Paper Moon" which I watched stoned on the Jerk Haus couch with my best girl, Rudi. Made my heart ache, just like "Last Picture Show" does, plus, there are a ton of Blue Sky Boys jams on the soundtrack. So beautiful.
  • I read 30 books this year. More then I've ever read before. Favorites: Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko, Black Elk Speaks, Memories, Dreams, Reflections by Carl Jung, Kabongo by Richard St. Barbe Baker, and some other super noteworthy ones: The Horse Boy by Rupert Isaacson, Seven Arrows by Hyemeyohsts Storm, Inner Work by Robert A. Johnson, The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, and House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday.
  • I started making art again, and I don't streamline it from my shadow anymore like I did when I was younger. Actually, I consciously streamlined it from my shadow a couple of times when I was having fucked up dreams to direct that into something concrete, but I guess what I mean is that I'm using art to create circles now, and it feels really good.
  • The Red Book was really huge for me. It just made me excited to see this physical relic that places such high value on all the dark and weird things that are going on underneath.
  • For the first few months of school, every morning when I woke up, I would listen to side B of "Cosmo's Factory" by CCR.
  • I think the record I listened to the most this year was the newest Goodnight Loving record. I can flip that record over and over forever.
  • Favorite single: Wounded Lion - Pony People / Carol Cloud 7".
  • Best show I saw? I don't even know. But maybe the show that Rare Form played with Used Kids and Goodnight Loving was the most fun show. Or Lew's house show in Austin. Or when Max and I went to see Lamps and Pissed Jeans at the Market Hotel. Favorite show played, on the other hand, was either when Uzi Rash (line-up: me, Max, Craig, and Johnnie) played the Silent Barn basement with Bad Indians or when Uzi Rash (line-up: me, Max, Craig, Johnnie, and Danny Z) played at Bruar Falls with Terrible Twos and other bands. I don't remember.
  • I love school so much and everything about it. Oh! And I made Dean's list!
  • I started making my bed every morning and my room is relatively neat as a pin.
  • I finished the zine that I started working on right after my last one came out. (That was 3 years ago.) Tomorrow, I will go to pick it up from my favorite copy shop.
  • I got to go to Utah and visit Emily and Carrie and Vaughn.
  • I got to work at the summer camp I used to go to when I was a kid and had the most care-free, wonderful summer working with rad kids in beautiful New Hampshire.
  • I guess life is really good. I was talking to Steven tonight when we were walking down Amsterdam Avenue and talking about how who knows if anything is really important, and matters anyway. You know, one of those "what's the point" conversations that isn't wild at all, just standard, but deep, 'cos we've known each other so long and through so much. Anyway, we're just putting together pieces of this huge puzzle. You know. That's all we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment